2019 VA Disability Compensation Rates – Updated Veterans Compensation Benefits Rate Tables

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any other entity. This site may be compensated through the advertiser Affiliate Program. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

The 2019 VA Disability Compensation Rates are effective as of Dec. 1, 2018. If you receive VA disability pay, you will notice the increased amount in your first check in January 2019. There was a 2.8% increase from 2018, the largest such cost of living adjustment (COLA) since 2012. The government uses the same COLA rates for military retiree pay and several other government benefits.

While 2.8% may not seem like much on the surface, it adds up over time!

2019 VA Disability Compensation Rates

Here are the 2019 VA disability compensation rates.

They are divided into three major sections:

  • 10% – 20% (Having dependents doesn’t impact these compensation rates)
  • Without Children
  • With Children

Having dependents on your VA Disability Claim increases compensation rates for veterans with a disability rating of 30% or greater.

VA Disability Compensation Rates – 10% – 20% (No Dependents)


VA Disability Compensation Rates – 30% – 60% Without Children

Dependent Status30%40%50%60%
Veteran Alone$428.83$617.73$879.36$1,113.86
Veteran with Spouse Only$479.83$685.73$964.36$1,215.86
Veteran with Spouse & One Parent$520.83$739.73$1,032.36$1,297.86
Veteran with Spouse and Two Parents$561.83$793.73$1,100.36$1,379.86
Veteran with One Parent$469.83$671.73$947.36$1,195.86
Veteran with Two Parents$510.83$725.73$1,015.36$1,277.86
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)$47.00$62.00$78.00$94.00

VA Disability Compensation Rates – 70% – 100% Without Children

Dependent Status70%80%90%100%
Veteran Alone$1,403.71$1,631.69$1,833.62$3,057.13
Veteran with Spouse Only$1,522.71$1,767.69$1,986.62$3,227.58
Veteran with Spouse & One Parent$1,617.71$1,876.69$2,109.62$3,364.37
Veteran with Spouse and Two Parents$1,712.71$1,985.69$2,232.62$3,501.16
Veteran with One Parent$1,498.71$1,740.69$1,956.62$3,193.92
Veteran with Two Parents$1,593.71$1,849.69$2,079.62$3,330.71
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)$109.00$125.00$141.00$156.32

VA Disability Compensation Rates – 30% – 60% With Children

Dependent Status30%40%50%60%
Veteran with Spouse & Child$516.83$735.73$1,026.36$1,290.86
Veteran with Child Only$462.83$662.73$935.36$1,181.86
Veteran with Spouse, One Parent and Child$557.83$789.73$1,094.36$1,372.86
Veteran with Spouse, Two Parents and Child$598.83$843.73$1,162.36$1,454.86
Veteran with One Parent and Child$503.83$716.73$1,003.36$1,263.86
Veteran with Two Parents and Child$544.83$770.73$1,071.36$1,345.86
Add for Each Additional Child Under Age 18$25.00$33.00$42.00$50.00
Each Additional Schoolchild Over Age 18 (see footnote a)$82.00$109.00$136.00$164.00
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)$47.00$62.00$78.00$94.00

VA Disability Compensation Rates – 70% – 100% With Children

Dependent Status70%80%90%100%
Veteran with Spouse & Child$1,609.71$1,867.69$2,098.62$3,352.41
Veteran with Child Only$1,482.71$1,722.69$1,935.62$3,171.12
Veteran with Spouse, One Parent and Child$1,704.71$1,976.69$2,221.62$3,489.20
Veteran with Spouse, Two Parents and Child$1,799.71$2,085.69$2,344.62$3,625.99
Veteran with One Parent and Child$1,577.71$1,831.69$2,058.62$3,307.91
Veteran with Two Parents and Child$1,672.71$1,940.69$2,181.62$3,444.70
Add for Each Additional Child Under Age 18$59.00$67.00$76.00$84.69
Each Additional Schoolchild Over Age 18 (see footnote a)$191.00$218.00$246.00$273.58
Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)$109.00$125.00$141.00$156.32


a. Rates for each school child are shown separately. They are not included with any other compensation rates. All other entries on this chart reflecting a rate for children show the rate payable for children under 18 or helpless. To find the amount payable to a 70% disabled veteran with a spouse and four children, one of whom is over 18 and attending school, take the 70% rate for a veteran with a spouse and 3 children, $ 1786.71, and add the rate for one school child, $191.00. The total amount payable is $1977.71.

b. Where the veteran has a spouse who is determined to require A/A, add the figure shown as “additional for A/A spouse” to the amount shown for the proper dependency code. For example, veteran has A/A spouse and 2 minor children and is 70% disabled. Add $109.00, additional for A/A spouse, to the rate for a 70% veteran with dependency code 12, $1,668.71. The total amount payable is $1,777.71.

About VA Service-Connected Disability Ratings

VA Service-Connected Disability Ratings are awarded to veterans on a case by case basis, based upon illnesses or injuries that occurred or were made worse while the member was performing active duty military service. A disability rating can also be awarded to a veteran who was injured or became disabled after receiving VA health care.

VA Service Connected Disability Compensation is Tax-Free

VA Service Connected Disability Compensation is a tax-free benefit which is paid directly to the veteran on a monthly basis. This income does not need to be reported on federal tax returns. Please check with your individual state tax office to determine if this is reportable at the state level.

How VA Disability Compensation Impacts Retirement Pay

Retired military members who are awarded a service-connected disability rating are entitled to receive their disability compensation from the VA. However, military retirees may experience some differences from non-retired veterans.

VA Disability Offset for Military Retirees

There is a federal law on the books which requires military retirees to waive part of their military retirement pay in order to receive VA disability compensation benefits. Military retirees with a disability rating of 40% or less may have their military retirement pay offset by the amount of disability compensation they receive from the VA. In other words, their retirement pay from DFAS will be decreased by the exact amount of money they receive from the VA.

The end result is the same gross payment. However, the VA compensation is tax-free, resulting in a larger overall net payment.

Concurrent Receipt

Military retirees with a disability rating of 50% or greater may be eligible to receive both their full disability income and the full military retirement pay with no offset. This is called Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP), or concurrent receipt.

Combat Related Special Compensation

There is another program called Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), or CRSC (10 U.S. Code § 1413a).

CRSC Benefits replace the VA disability offset for military retirees with combat-related disabilities, allowing military retirees to receive both their full disability compensation and retirement pay, without any offset. This can be applied even at a VA disability rating of less than 50%.

CRSC is only awarded to military members who have a combat-related disability rating. Members must apply through their branch of service to be awarded CRSC.

Note: Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay and Combat Related Special Compensation are often a source of confusion and contention among many veterans. We recommend working directly with the VA, DFAS, or your branch of service to handle any specific questions or issues you may have with either of these programs.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to answer any specific questions regarding an individual VA disability claim or compensation.

Having Dependents May Impact Your Disability Compensation Payments

Veterans who have a disability rating of 30% or higher may receive increased disability compensation payments from the VA. This does not apply to veterans with a disability rating of 20% or lower.

Veterans must add their dependents to their VA disability claim and inform the VA of any changes to dependency status. This is important any time there is a change such as a marriage, divorce, birth, legal adoption, death, minor entering into the majority, a parent becoming a dependent, or other qualifying changes to dependency status.

Children are no longer eligible to be claimed as a dependent once they reach age 18 unless they are still attending school. To continue receiving benefits for your dependent after they reach age 18, the VA requires the veteran to submit supporting documentation proving the child is attending a qualified school.

Promptly Inform the VA of Changes to Dependents’ Status

The VA will provide back pay from the time you file the paperwork to add a dependent to your claim. However, they may also claw back overpayments you received should you fail to inform the VA that your status has changed. This is important when there is an event that may decrease your compensation, such as a child no longer being eligible for benefits, a divorce, or a death.

You can find historical rates here.

Related Content:

Ryan Guina served over 6 years on active duty in the USAF and is currently serving in the IL Air National Guard. He has been writing about military and financial topics since 2007. He also writes about money management and investing at Cash Money Life and military benefits and related topics at The Military Wallet. Ryan uses Personal Capital to track and manage his track his finances. Personal Capital is a free software program that allows him to track his net worth, balance his investment portfolio, track his income and expenses, and much more. You can open a free account here.

  1. I retired in dec 93 with 30% disability from the Marines and 20% from the VA, In April 2019 I submitted a request for reevaluation of disability from the VA it just came back with a rating of 80%. ($1631.69) I was receiving ($276.84) which was deducted from my retired pay. Will the new amount also be deducted from my retired pay or does CRDP or CRSC apply? Thanks for the info in advance

  2. V.A said I owe 30k because they took my dependents off going all the way back to 2007, they wanted address and dates that due to the nature of my disability I can not remember. Me and my wife have been separated going on 6/7 years she isnt cooperative in helping recall the information I need. Plus I have a 9 yr old that I never added to my deers… I grew frustrated with the process and just let them take the 30k over 3yrs. At first I just dropped all my dependents and they said fine. But a year later is when they came back and said we’re going back to 2007..

    I’ve heard that once they start taking a large portion of your benefits that its next to impossible to stop it.

    I dont have the energy to fight the Gov, they always win anyways..

    • I’m sorry to read about that, Mel.

      I’d suggest that you work with a local Veteran Service Officer or your state Veterans Administration office. You can find a VSO through your local chapters of the Disabled American Veterans, the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, or even MOAA. Their services are free to you, and so are the services from your state vet’s office.

      They’ll help you gather the documentation for straightening out your family benefits, and then help you recoup the money that you’ve already earned and paid for.

  3. Hi I’m receiving va compensation. I would like to know if I can still claim my 19 year old son? He is in prep military college since august of 2019. what do I need to do? Thank you.

    • Good question, Leo! When he’s a full-time student then you can claim him for your VA disability compensation eligibility up through age 23. Here’s the requirement from the VA’s website at:
      Children (including biological children, step children, and adopted children) who are unmarried and either:
      – Under the age of 18
      – Between the ages of 18-23 and attending school full-time, or
      – Who were seriously disabled before the age of 18

      I strongly recommend using eBenefits to update your claim info. Here’s an in-depth video on adding your son through eBenefits, including supplying information about the school and his program:

      You could also submit a stack of paper forms or use a local Veteran Service Officer, but eBenefits is generally worth the occasional hassle & frustration.

  4. My Dad receives VA disability compensation at the married rate. My Mom argues with him that the VA gives him the extra amount for her, and that he is supposed to give it to her each month. The VA originally and mistakenly approved his claim at the single rate. After sending the VA proof of marriage, they updated his disability compensation to the married rate. They also sent a letter explaining the correction, and the increased amount of disability for being married, which my Mom interprets as “her money” that my Dad should give to her each month. I had found an internet article some time ago, stating the reasons why the extra “married amount” is not money the VA is giving to the spouse, but money for the veteran because they are married. They are elderly and I’m trying to put this to rest to stop the bickering. I would sincerely appreciate it if you could offer an explanation, a link from the VA, or any type of justification I can show to my Mom to prove the VA did not send that letter to tell my Dad he has to give the the “married portion” of his disability each month. Sincerely, Matt

    • Matt, the VA only says that the additional disability compensation is “to help support your family”.

      Veterans have earned (and paid for) the compensation. I’m not aware of any legal requirements on how a married veteran is expected to use their compensation. Your parents might be able to gain more insight by consulting a Veteran Service Officer in their community from the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Disabled American Veterans, or MOAA.

  5. can you claim foster children as dependents?

  6. If my husband was in the military and married with one child when he was discharged and originally awarded his disability but has since divorced her and their child is now over 18 but we have married and had a child of our own, can he still claim the married with one child? He’s been receiving single pay for over 10 years while we’ve been married.

    • Hello Shannon, veterans with a disability rating of 30% or higher can add dependents to their claim. It is the veteran’s responsibility to contact the VA to inform them of changes to their status, including adding or removing dependents. Your husband should contact the VA to ensure his claim is correct, and add or remove any dependents as necessary. This can be done with VA Form 21-686c. You can learn more here.

      I wish you and your family the best!

  7. I have a student loan from prior to my military service. Im a disabled vet with 90% rating. Is there a way to decrease or dismiss this student loan?

  8. So, I was just informed there is a different payment rate for single, and married with child. I’m currently receiving disability at the single status, when I’ve been married, with children since before I joined the military. Who do I contact to have my status changed, and to get back pay initiated?

    • You will not get back pay to the time that you got out unless you just got out and its within your 1 year of getting your Notification letter. It states in that letter you are being paid at a single rate, so if your passed that 1 year mark, unfortunately you lost that back pay. You can go onto benefits or call 1800827100 and they can be added over the phone and know right then if you need to upload documents. Again if your are past that 1 year mark, it will take effect the day you contact the VA.

    • Jesse, the simplest method would be logging in to your eBenefits account and adding your family members.

      Since you may be eligible for back pay, you might want to visit your local Veteran Service Officer and figure out how far back the VA will go. They can also add your family members, and they may want to see marriage certificates & birth certificates.

  9. if i die will my wife still get any compensation? 90%, out for 16 years, married 10 years.

  10. I am a disabled veteran. I got hurt in 1974 and 1975 and I received a disability rating of 10%.

    How can I improve my disability rating? Can you point me in the right direction and the right person?

    • For starters you need to do an Intent to file. Then you will have 1 year from that date to get th VA Regional office the correct paperwork and then they will start working on your claim for increase.

      You can go to the Regional office, any service organization, or your local VAMC to start both. At the VAMC you will talk to a service organization there. Hope this helps

    • Hector, I’d start by visiting a Veteran Service Officer for a review of what’s been done and what needs to be done. You could start with a copy of your VA claim file (if you have your C-file) and your DD-214 discharge paper, and later add your service & medical records.

      You can find a VSO at a local VA clinic or local chapters of the American Legion, the DAV, the VFW, or even MOAA. You might also be able to get help from your state’s veterans benefits agency– state benefits as well as the VA’s federal benefits.

      The “Related Content” links up in that post have more information about submitting a claim and updating it.

  11. What qualifies as a dependent parent? My wife’s mother is now living with us.

    • If you support your parent with the majority of there income, then they can be added.

    • That’s a tough question, Tom, and I can’t find a straightforward answer. You’ll need to consult a Veteran Service Officer, a JAG, or a lawyer who’s familiar with veteran’s benefits.

      Your parent is a dependent when you’re supporting them, but the financial qualifications for additional disability compensation are based on both income and assets. In addition, there’s a separate program of Dependents and Indemnity Compensation for the parents of a deceased veteran. Both are mentioned in the Code of Federal Regulations for Title 38 of U.S. Code:
      but it’s hard to tell which sections apply to veteran’s disability compensation (with dependent parents) or the surviving parents’ DIC of a deceased veteran.

      The basic definition is on the VA’s website:
      “Parents, who are in your direct care and whose income and net worth are below the limit set by law.”

      A parent’s application is not handled by eBenefits but rather has to be filed with VA Form 21P-509.
      Before you spend the time filling out the form, it’s possible that a VSO (or the lawyers) will have the latest guidelines on accounting for the parent’s income & assets.

  12. I didnt see an increase in the 2019 chart. It has the same amount From 2018. Am I missing something

    • Jorge, what 2018 chart are you comparing the rates to? The rates on this post’s 2019 tables are at least 2.8% higher than the 2018 rates.

      In 2018 my VA disability compensation (30% rating, no kids) was $466.15. In 2019 it’s going up to $479.83.

      What disability rate are you searching for? How much was your last compensation deposit?

  13. Great roll-up on the 2019 VA compensation and a good over all explanation of how disability works with military retirement. I’m not quite there yet but know some guys who are. I’ll pass it on.

    • My son just got an increase for mental health, many issues they balled together, and went from 30% to 70% that was the only change. He was at 80% disability overall, somehow hes at 90% now????
      He also put in a claim for IU? Dont know decision, will it show on ebenefits? Hes still waiting on his ‘package ‘ of paperwork to come in mail. But it’s only been 3 months n he got a decision, he was also told he would be receiving a monthly SMC due to his high mental health issues.
      But amt he got in acct today leaves us baffled. ( I help him with finances, Bill’s, medication, appts, etc.)

      Any info you can offer???

      • I was just awarded a 70% rating for PTSD am I eligible for unemployable disability also

      • Hello Lori, Thank you for your comment. This sounds like a situation that warrants individual attention beyond what can be provided via email.

        I recommend speaking with someone who can review his specific situation and offer personalized assistance (this is not something we are qualified to provide).

        The best thing to do is to contact a veterans benefits counselor at the VA or county VA office, or with a Veterans Service Organization such as the DAV, AMVETS, American Legion, VFW, etc. They have counselors who offer free, individualized claims assistance.

        I wish you and your son the best!

    Comment? Question? What's on your mind?