Since the Revolutionary War, immigrants and foreign nationals have served within the ranks of the United States Military. In the past, immigrants required a green card (lawful permanent resident status), today qualified applicants are being granted an exception to the rule…
The MAVNI Program
The Military Accesions Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) program authorizes each branch of the Military, to recruit certain legal aliens, whose skills are considered to be VITAL to national interest. Those holding critical skills – linguistics, physicians, and nurses, who are in the U.S. on a temporary visa, are allowed to enlist or commission into the Military Service of their choice. For FY 2014, the program is open to all Recruiting Centers and there will be a limited amount of vacancies. The rumor mill tells me that the program will be capped at 1400, with each language being capped at 90…
Do I Qualify To Be A MAVNI?
Currently, there are eleven criteria that must be met:
- Age: Applicants must be between the ages of 17 and 34 and depart for training prior to their 35th birthday (09L applicants must ship prior to their 42nd birthday).
- Citizenship: Be a legal, non-immigrant alien, lawfully admitted and permitted to be in the U.S. as verified by documentation from Homeland Security.
- Applicants must be either an Asylee or a Refugee. An Asylee is defined as a person who applied for and was granted asylum in the U.S, while a Refugee is defined as someone who has been forced to leave a country because of war or for religious or political reasons.
- Or applicants must be in a non-immigrant legal status category of one of the following: E-1, E-2, E-3, F-1, F-2, F-3, H-1B, H-1C, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, H-4, I, J-1, J-2, K-1, K-2, K-3, K-4, L-1, L-2, M-1, M-2, M-3, O-1, O-2, O-3, P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4, Q-1, Q-2, Q-3, R-1, R-2, S-5, S-6, S-7, T-1, T-2, T-3, T-4, TC, TD, TN, U, U-1, U-2-, U-3, U-4, V-1, V-2, V-3.
- Legal Status: Must have had legal status for at least the last 2 years with no single absence of more than 90 days from U.S. during the two-year period immediately preceding the date of enlistment.
- Name: Applicants will enlist using the name listed on their immigration documents IAW AR 601-210 chapter 2.
- SSN: Will be required for all applicants.
- Education: Must be a current high school senior, high school graduate, or higher.
- Trainability: Must score a 50 or higher on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB).
- Physical: Must be able to meet procurement physical fitness standards. Medical waivers are authorized however, drug and alcohol waivers are not.
- Misconduct: No waivers for misconduct will be authorized
- Affiliation: Applicants cannot have a current or remaining affiliation with another country’s Armed Forces which includes Reserve or Guard commitments.
- Language: The program is limited to applicants who pass the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) at the 2/2 level or higher, in both speaking and listening. Accepted languages:
- Albanian, Amharic, Arabic Algerian, Arabic Modern Standard, Arabic Iraqi, Arabic Egyptian, Arabic Jordanian, Arabic Levantine, Arabic Libyan, Arabic Maghrebi, Arabic Syrian, Arabic Palestinian, Arabic Sudanese, Arabic Moroccan, Arabic Yemeni, Azerbaijani, Arabic Lebanese, Arabic Tunisian, Bengali, Burmese, Cambodian-Khmer, Cebuano, Chinese Cantonese, Chinese Mandarin, Czech, French, Georgian, Haitian-Creole, Hausa, Hindi, Hungarian, Igbo, Indonesian, Korean, Kurdish-Kurmanje, Kurdish-Sorani, Lao, Malay, Malayalam, Moro, Nepalese, Pashto-Afghan, Persian Dari, Persian Farsi, Polish, Portuguese Brazilian, Portuguese European, Punjabi, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Sindhi, Somali, Swahili, Sinhalese, Tagalog, Tadjik, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Turkmen, Urdu, Uzbek, Yoruba.
How Do I Apply For MAVNI?
There are two primary types of applications, Health Care Professionals, and the Language Program. Applicants interested in MAVNI must enter their information into a central collection database prior to any interview process, see links below:
- Health Care Professionals – http://www.goarmy.com/info/mavni/healthcare
- Language Program – http://www.goarmy.com/info/mavni
Current Recruiting Message pertaining to the MAVNI program USAREC Message 13-164 provides detailed information about the 2014 Mavni Program
MAVNI Allocations – Open & Closed Languages
The following languages are closed as of 2 February: Chinese, Hindi, Korean, Nepalese, Swahili
- Amharic 1
- Arabic 4
- Azerbajani 1
- Bengali 3
- Burmese 6
- Cebuano 8
- Chinese 89
- French 25
- Hatian Creole 4
- Hausa 3
- Hindi 88
- Igbo 6
- Indonesian 1
- Korean 91
- Malayalam 2
- Nepalese 90
- Persian Farsi 4
- Portuguese 3
- Punjabi 2
- Russian 12
- Singhalese 6
- Swahili 61
- Tagolog 26
- Tamil 3
- Turkish 4
- Urdu 1
- Uzbek 1
- Yoruba 14